Tell Me a Childhood Story

Tell Me a Childhood Story

Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Light of Sunrise


I love sunrises.  The golden color of the sun as it peaks above the horizon.  Brilliant.  It happens so subtly at first with the sky brightening.  A patient expectation.  You can miss the first glimpse in a blink.  But to catch a sunrise to me is always breathtaking.  Radiant.

One of my favorite sunrises is on Easter morning.  I love to go, if possible, to a sunrise service.  It makes me feel bursting joy.  As I think of it, every morning has this potential if we can embrace it.

Every morning we might not feel so hopeful of a new day, but it is a fresh start with new merices.  I remember reading a book (''Having Our Say; The Delany Sisters' First 100 Years,'' an oral history told to Amy Hill Hearth) about two sisters.  In their later years one sister named Sadie would wake up every morning at 6:30, smile and say, ''Thank you, Lord, for another day.'' Then she would wake up her sister Bessie, a late sleeper, who would open her eyes and say, ''Oh Lord, another day?''  I tend to be more like Sadie, and I always hope to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment